At last, you have decided to have a cosmetic surgical procedure. The first and the most important step to becoming a new you is to schedule a consultation with a certified plastic surgeon. This is your chance to ask the expert all the questions you have. Also, the doctor gets an opportunity to examine your anatomy, skin texture and tone to determine the right procedure or a combination of surgical procedures to help you achieve your desired results.
Here are tips to help you get the most out your consultation session.
Do your homework properly
Focus on scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Such a professional should have undergone rigorous training and testing to meet all the requirements set by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Though this doesn’t guarantee a complication-free procedure, it increases your odds significantly. A board certified surgeon has both the skill and experience to deliver exemplary results.
Here are tips to do your homework correctly.
- Research the surgeon you intend to see
- Carefully read his or her bio and check all available credentials
- If you have friends, colleagues or relative who has ever visited the surgeon in question, talk to them and get their views about the services rendered.
- Check the surgeon’s official website. Remember to check all the before and after photographs of his or her previous clients.
- Check reviews left by the surgeon’s former patients. This can give you an idea of the quality of services provided.
- If you intend to undergo plastic surgery in NYC, read about the specific procedure you desire and find out what the latest version of the procedure entails.
As you gather information about the specific surgeon you plan to see, the facility, and the procedure you desire, create a list of questions that you will ask during the consultation.
Become an active participant
Some patients may be well-informed to the point that the surgeon feels it’s like he or she is talking to a fellow surgeon. Though you don’t need to know everything about plastic surgery, having an idea of what you need can make you an active participant.
So, don’t be shy. Say something about what you want and encourage your surgeon to offer detailed explanations by asking questions, making comments, and more. It’s also recommended to bring your spouse, a friend, or relative. Note that you will be presented with a lot of information during the consultation and sometimes it’s difficult to remember everything.
During the consultation, keep an eye on what’s happening in the facility. If you arrive, spend a lot of time waiting, and no one seems to notice you need help, the chances are that the surgeons are very busy. If you feel as though you’re just another body these professionals will be operating on, walk away.
Focus on working with a surgeon who seems concerned about your questions and overall well-being and not just the money you are about to pay.